I am so excited!! My first ever blog award!! Thank you, http://seattlepolychick.com/ for nominating me!! 😀
My blog was started less than two months ago and I have been thrilled at the response level. I’m really happy that my writing has caught people’s attention and is being read by so many already. Seattlepolychick’s blog was one of the first ones I discovered on WordPress and I am especially honored that she found mine intriguing enough to mention! If you haven’t checked out her writing yet, please do. Her stories of everyday life as a polyamorous woman and her different lovers are fascinating and encouraging to me. 🙂
So here are the RULES of accepting the Liebster award, which I will try my best to follow,
* When one receives the award, one posts 11 random facts about oneself and answers the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
*Pass the award onto 11 other blogs (while making sure one notifies the blogger that one nominated them!)
* One writes up 11 NEW questions directed towards YOUR nominees.
* One is not allowed to nominate the blog who nominated one’s own blog!
* One pastes the award picture into ones blog. (You can google the image, there are plenty of them!)
SO, without further ado…..
11 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME
1. I learned to swim before I learned how to walk. I started taking swimming lessons with a world renowned swimming teacher who worked with babies when I was 4 months old. Swimming still seems almost more natural than walking to me! I am an excellent swimmer and once saved a drunken man who had tried to commit suicide by drowning himself. He had swum way out to the middle of the lake and was screaming for help now that he’d changed his mind. He was twice my size but I managed to pull him back to shore.
2. Of all of my siblings that have the same mother I am the only “white” child. My brothers and sisters are racially and ethnically mixed (some with Hispanic, some black, and my stepsiblings are black). I jokingly refer to myself as “the white sheep of the family”.
3. I was a precocious child and by the age of 4, thanks to my grandmother, I was reading at an adult level. Because of this I was put in the gifted program at school. I stayed for a few years but the teachers complained that I was lazy and not living up to my potential. Probably this had something to do with the abuse I endured at home and an inability to focus on schoolwork or do homework. Still, school was always easy for me and I got pretty good grades with very little effort, acing pretty much every test that was given to me and even winning some awards for my writing.
4. I once danced in a rap video. No really, lol. It was the lamest, worst “rapper” you ever heard and part of a just say NO to drugs campaign. My high school media/film class and the Black Student Union at school were asked to take part and they filmed two separate videos. The first one was using all black kids and the second one, they needed some white people. I guess I fit the bill, haha. So we had to dance to this horribly pathetic guy rapping and it was shown to thousands of schools across the country in an effort to discourage drug use. I was smoking pot back then too. Shhhhh….
5. I used to work in a home for boys with behavioral disorders and now I have one of my own. Oh, boy, is it a challenge and you’d think I would be prepared to deal with it but every day can be a struggle. I never dreamed I would be here because I thought being a good parent would ensure having well behaved kids. I’m sad to say it doesn’t always work out that way. This one is trying to prove me wrong every step of the way. I’m humbled for sure.
6. I love to cook! I really enjoy trying new recipes and improving on old ones. A few years ago I put together my very own cookbook filled with recipes I’ve found and loved and gathered favorites from friends and family. I made copies for all my close friends and families and gave them as Christmas presents, interspersed with scrapbook pages with pictures of my family and those included on my list. It was a lot of work but so worth it! I use my cookbook all the time. and get calls from others who are enjoying it as well.
7. I didn’t have a TV from the time I started college until about 8 months ago (approximately 17 years) and barely missed it at all. I’m not a big television watcher even now that we have one because I rarely have the time for it. Back in the day I mostly watched MTV and VH1 anyway, when they actually played music videos. It’s always been hard for me just to sit there and WATCH something for hours. I don’t even like long, involved movies.
8. In the rare event that I actually watch television (usually only when I’m working out), I generally pick things that are light and funny. My favorite TV shows are The New Adventures of Old Christine and Sex and the City.
9. I love music, love to sing and was in choir much of my life. I am a bit too shy for solos but I’ve also been in musicals such as Oliver and Bye Bye Birdie in the past and a handful of plays. I don’t know how to read music and have never learned to play an instrument, though I always wished I’d had the opportunity.
10. I was a cheerleader in junior high. I never really could get into being one of the snotty girls though. I’m way too sensitive for that and used to get called on to go talk to the one (slightly) overweight girl on the squad all the time when she got hurt feelings because I was apparently the only one capable of being nice to her.
11. I’ve never mowed a lawn before. Or changed a tire or done any of a myriad of “man jobs”, lol. I can be a little bit prissy about things like that. Don’t wanna mess up my hair/nails you know!
My ANSWERS to the questions asked of me:
1. What are you most proud of?
I’m proud of myself just for making it through life thus far without completely falling apart! I’ve been through a lot but I’m proud of my resilience and ability to bounce back without allowing things to affect me negatively.
2. Who inspires you?
I’m inspired by my grandmother. She too, has had an amazing and interesting, but often very challenging, life and is one of the most cheerful and happy seeming people I know. She also looks so young for her age. I hope to be the same way!
3. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas!! I love it! I love the feeling of Christmas, the generosity of people during that season, seeing my children’s eyes light up on Christmas morning, singing Christmas carols, all of it. 🙂 I refuse to let the materialism of the season get me down and prefer to see all the positives.
4. Who are some of your favorite authors?
Oh man. This should be easy because I love to read and love books but it’s just too hard to pick! Plus I haven’t been able to sit down and read much for MYSELF in ages! Mostly I am reading children’s books and classics with my kids. I’ve read a lot of books and a lot of really great authors but to even try to remember who my favorites are is just overwhelming.
I’ve read a lot of classic literature but I am just going to leave you with a couple books that I have read recently instead. They are of a more practical variety.
One is a must read for every woman, especially those who have been in an abusive or difficult relationship. It’s called Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men, by Lundy Bancroft. I went through that book with a highlighter and found my ex-husband, over and over and over again, which kind of surprised me because he had seemed so passive. It was really eye opening.
The other book is the one I am reading right now but still haven’t gotten a chance to finish. It’s called The Ethical Slut, A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities, by Dossie Easton and Catherine A. Liszt.
5. why do you write a blog?
I’ve always loved to write and this blog is actually kind of therapeutic to me. It’s nice to be able to write out my experiences and feelings. My original purpose in starting it was to see if anyone would be interested in reading my writing. It’s been a long time dream of mine to write a book but I wondered if anyone would read it. I wanted to see how I did in the blog world first!
6. what did you want to be as a kid?
An actress, lol, of course!! 😉
7. who would play you in a movie about your life? (in your dreams)
Gosh, that’s a hard one! Maybe Sandra Bullock.
8. name 5 really great musicians or bands.
Oh wow, that’s like choosing which guy to have sex with!! 😉 LOL I love so many different musicians and bands, of various genres, though overall RnB is my favorite. More old school than the newer stuff though. Hmmmmm…. okay, how about Tom Petty, R. Kelly, the Isley Brothers, Anthony Hamilton and Jodeci. LOL
9. do you ever get jealous?
Yes, see my blog post on the Evolution of Jealousy for that one!!
10. do you believe in love that lasts forever?
You know, I believe love, as in caring for another person can last forever. Just like you love your kids and your siblings forever and your parents if you are a person who had parents who cared about you (I really didn’t). As for romantic love, I think the “romantic” part probably only lasts a few years. Then, it’s a different kind of love that isn’t as exciting. It can change to a caring love or sometimes it fades away.
11. anything odd that turns you on?
Odd? Probably not, but I’m not sure. I think most of the things that turn me on are probably pretty typical. I like guys that are really confident, dominant but not mean. I think I’m pretty normal in that regard. I like spankings and a little rough play but it seems that’s common.
Eleven blogs you should really check out!! 🙂 There are so many, but this was just off the top of my head!
Eleven questions for those who accept this award:
1. What was your first sexual experience like?
2. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
3. Do your friends and family know you have a blog? Why or why not?
4. What are some songs that remind you of your current relationship(s)?
5. What is one of your favorite meals to eat for dinner?
6. Tell us one of your funny or embarrassing dating experiences.
7. What do you think about marriage?
8. Name a book you would recommend to your blog readers?
9. Name something out of the ordinary that you have done sexually. It can be an act, a place you’ve had sex, whatever.
11. What is the most annoying habit of the opposite sex (or people you are dating of the same sex)?